About Me

My photo
After getting my first passport in 2006 and traveling to climb Kilimanjaro in Tanzania my life changed. I began the process of getting rid of all my possessions and traveling the world. Traveling to over 125 countries and all 7 continents, hostels have been my home. This "new life" has taught me what is important and it was NOT accumulating money or possessions. Traveling is the best education. I hope my blog will encourage others to travel. My World Tattoo was a way for me to express my PASSION FOR TRAVEL.

Sunday, December 13, 2020

NORWAY

Visited Norway in 2007 and 2015. Weather was much better in 2015, especially in Bergen. The hike to Pulpit Rock in 2015 was my primary reason for the visit and was not disappointed. 


September 12, 2007.  (Galway to Dublin Airport to Oslo, Norway)

I woke up at 6:20 am and had to get my stuff together in the dark to not wake everyone in the dorm. I took the bus from Galway to the Dublin Airport and arrived at 12:30 pm. My flight to Oslo, Norway was scheduled at 3:25 pm. I arrived at the Airport at 6:30 pm but still had a 2 hour bus ride into Oslo. (One of the problems in flying cheap airlines)   Checking into my really nice but expensive hostel. I paid $50 for the right to sleep in a tiny bunk bed with 9 other people in the room. (However, cheapest alternative)


September 13th, 2007.  (NIGHTMARE IN NORWAY, Finse and Bergen)

I got up early, ate breakfast, checked out and went on the train to Finse,  where I had planned on doing some hiking in the mountains. I arrived in Finse and was told the Hostel had closed 5 days ago for remainder of the season and that I should find a hotel. The cheapest hotel room was 135 euros ($150) and definitely not in my budget. The next train to Bergen, my next planned destination,  was at 8:20 pm so I purchased a ticket and explored Finse. 

I arrived in Bergen at 10:30  pm and could not find the hostel nor did anyone know of it. (Seems they had changed the name) Hard to find people willing to help late at night. It started raining and someone mentioned another hostel. Got there and it closes at 9 pm and there was no reception. Still raining. All hotels I checked were 180 euro ($210). REALLY !!!!  I tried going to he train station to sleep but it was locked until the morning. After being chased by a homeless man who insisted on talking to me, I reluctantly agreed to pay $150 for a hotel at about 1 am. My cold, soaking wet, aching,  exhausted body thanked me. Planning better instead of "winging it" will becone the core of all my future trips.  


September 14, 2007  (NORWAY,  Voss)

I found a hostel in Voss, near Finse, that would serve my purposes.  After a great night of sleep, I caught the 10:28 am train. Upon arriving at the train station, I asked for directions to the hostel. When I arrived I was informed that MY hostel was 40 kilometers from here. The receptionist helped me cancel my other reservation and booked me for 2 nights. At only $40 a night in the dorm, I was ecstatic.  This hostel will be closing in 10 more days. I checked the weather and saw that tomorrow would be a great day to visit the fjords, the main reason I came to Norway.





NORWAY MIRACLE

After  checking into my hostel in Voss, I was looking for a sign of better things to come. I went to the local market to buy sandwich meat for the next few days and that is when it happened. Right in front of me was a package of 10 hot dog wieners and 10 hot dog buns. That's right, an even number of both. Not sure if this would make the pope's list of miracles but it is certainly something that I have neither seen or heard of in my lifetime. lol This was the sign I was waiting for and I quickly purchased them. Lol


Saturday, September 15, 2007.  (NORWAY IN A NUTSHELL)

The next day was overcast but had great visibility so I went on the "Norway In A Nutshell" tour. It started with a bus ride down the mountains on hairpin turns, then on a two hour ferry ride through the   most beautiful fjords in Norway and then finished by train on the famous Flam Railroad. When we  most beautiful fjords in Norway and then finished by train on the famous Flam Railroad. When we arrived at the town of Myrdal , high in mountain, it started to snow very hard. Overall, it was everything that I came to Norway to do. Trekking through the mountains would be nice but all the hostels in the mountains closed in August much to my dismay.





















Sunday I take the train back to Oslo and Monday I fly back to Dublin 12 days earlier than planned. The fact that trekking is not possible and Norway is the most expensive country in Europe made going back to Dublin early an easy decision.


Monday, September 17, 2007

I spent Sunday night in a hostel in Oslo and will fly to Dublin today at 7pm. Earler today I took the ferry in Oslo to see the Viking Museum. They have 3 original viking ships that have been restored. There are also other viking artifacts such as wagons, carts and cooking utensils. It was quite a sight to see. I also visited the Kon-Tiki Museum which included the raft and the
boat made out of papyrus. This boat and raft sailed across the Atlantic Ocean and part of the Pacific to prove that ancient civilizations could have colonized far away countries many years ago. 

"I sought to see the amazing as normal, and the daily as unique, and in that swirling paradox I found the joy of travel."
Mary Poxon















NORWAY, PULPIT ROCK (HIKING TO PULPIT ROCK or PREIKESTOLEN)


May 6, 2015

I came to Stavanger, Norway to hike to Pulpit Rock (Preikestolen) which has an outstanding view of the Fjord. When I arrived in Stavanger at 10 pm last night it was raining very hard so I was a little concerned about my trip today. However, the forecast looked promising. I walked to catch the ferry and then caught a bus to the hiking point. It is a pretty steep hike which takes 1.5-2 hours. Paid the price for sitting on my butt for past 5 months. Lol  I was not anticipating the snow but it was a pleasant surprise. The grey clouds lifted on the hike and we had partly sunny skies. The view from Pulpit Rock was amazing. Many ventured to sit on the ledge but I decided NO !!!!   Stayed there about an hour and hiked down to catch the returning shuttle. Rained on our journey back to the ferry. Good timing.  Catching a 35 minute plane (cheapest way) to Bergen today and 1 hour train to Voss. Tomorrow is Norway in a Nutshell, did this before in 2007 but have to do it again.























NORWAY (Norway in a Nutshell)

 May 8, 2015

I did this trip in 2007 and was excited for opportunity to do it again, though expensive at $106. My trip originates by bus from Voss to Gudvangen down a very steep winding road through the mountains. Then we catch a ferry for the 2 hour cruise to Flam. We had sunshine 75% of the time which was amazing. After reaching Flam we caught the train to travel up through the mountains to Myrdal (6000 ft.). Exactly as in 2007, there were snow flurries everywhere. Nice. Then back to Voss at 4:30 pm. Great trip.  To see comparisons see my Ireland/Norway blog at www.bpassman.blogspot.com











































































NORWAY (Hiking up Mount Floyen)

May 9, 2015

With beautiful weather on my arrival in Bergen and 2 hours until checkin, I decided to hike to the viewpoint overlooking the city. Bergen receives rain about 300 days a year so did not want to waste this opportunity. Mount Floyen is 1 of 7 mountains surrounding the city and is approximately 1000 feet above the harbour. There is a funicular (tram) that takes you up for $10 but opportunity to hike, exercise AND save $10 made the decision to walk an easy one. The majority of locals were also walking to the top. It takes about 45 minutes going up and it is pretty steep at places. The views were special though and treated myself with ice cream at the top.

I was only in Bergen 1 night in 2007 and it was raining constantly. My biggest regret visiting Norway then was being unable to view Bergen and its harbour in good weather. Mission accomplished.





















 NORWAY, Bergen

 May 11, 2015

Bergen is Norway's 2nd largest city with a population of about 250,000. It rains here almost 300 days a year so I felt fortunate to have 2 very sunny days here. Today is however not one of those days with rain projected all day into the night. Fly to Dublin tomorrow and wait on the Ireland group to arrive on the 13th.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment

FINLAND, Helsinki

  September 4, 2013 No real plan for Helsinki. Used the map the ship, Anastasia, handed out and located the major tourist sites and started ...